59 adults and 4 children, including 41 golfers, attended the 2020 Clare weekend. The weather was near perfect for most of the weekend, being mostly sunny and moderately cool for most of the 4 days with a little breeze at times. It was good to see some of our new sponsors and also new members attend. This was our second outing to Clare for our end of year tournament.
Both the Clare Golf Club and the Clare Country Club were great hosts with plenty of food and drink available for everyone. The relatively hilly course is picturesque and quite challenging, however a fun time was had by all. The greens were generally in very good condition.
Our SAOGA sponsors provided teams in the Friday competition with a total of 11 teams entered. It was a great day with good feedback from our generous sponsors. Well done to Trevor Reardon and the Prochem team for winning the Presidents Cup and to Dave Garrick and the Bent Creek Wines team for winning the Sponsor’s Cup.
It was also refreshing to see young Sam Garrick (our only junior golfer) win the Stealth Tools Cup with the most overall Stableford Points on Saturday and Sunday.
There were many Covid-related challenges this year with some uncertainty regarding our budget and sponsorship. Great work by the Committee in bringing it together, and to the catering efforts by the Clare Country Club on Friday and Saturday evenings as well as to Steve for providing the excellent BBQ lunch after golf on Saturday.
Dave & Nina Garrick also very kindly put on an excellent wine-tasting event near the hotel tennis courts on Saturday afternoon, which was great fun to attend. Dave Garrick and Andrew Hudson also hosted an excellent BBQ on Sunday night – so bad luck to all of those who rushed home on Sunday afternoon after the prize-giving ceremony, you should have stayed until Monday morning!
Here is a summary of the results:
Thursday / Friday Winners:
- JFK Cup (Thursday Stoke): 1st = Stu Thomson, 2nd = Darren Griffiths, 3rd = Bob Troubridge.
- Presidents Cup (Friday Ambrose, 1st) = Prochem Team (Travis Reardon, Stewart Campbell, Brian Ferraro, Tony Steward)
- Sponsor’s Cup (Friday Ambrose, 2nd) = Bent Creek Wines Team (Dave Garrick, Sam Garrick, Darren Griffiths and Stu Thomson)
Saturday / Sunday Winners:
- Bardrill Cup (Ladies Stableford): 1st = Lisa Wedge, 2nd = Carolyn Kernahan
- Stealth Tools Cup (Best Stableford – Sat & Sun): 1st = Sam Garrick, 2nd = Mark Duerden, 3rd = Darren Griffiths
- Cavpower Cup (Most Consistent Golfer): Graeme Wheare
- Ensign / OD&E Trophy (Best Stableford – Sat): 1st = Benn Cox, 2nd = Tony Carter
- SAOGA Cup (Best Stableford – Sun): 1st = Peter Trezise, 2nd = Bruce Clark
- OICS Cup (Best Scratch): 1st = Jamie Trezise, 2nd = Jai Brown (same as in 2019 !)
- Santos Cup (Eclectic): 1st = Chris Skewes, 2nd = Stu Thomson
- RD Koch Trophy (Most Improved): 1st = Chris Skewes, 2nd = Mike Willis
- NAGA = Vera Mortimer
- Halliburton Cup (Calloway): 1st = Natalie Bird, 2nd = Steph Thomson
- SAOGA Club Championship:
• A Grade: 1st = Al Macdonald, 2nd = Benn Cox
• B Grade: 1st = Graeme Wheare, 2nd = Jim Day
• C Grade: 1st = Bob Troubridge, 2nd = Lisa Wedge
In addition to all of the above trophy winners, 35 prize vouchers (worth $25 each) were won by 26 different players for various Nearest the Pin, Long Drive and Novelty Hole prowess displayed during the Friday, Saturday and Sunday games. The Novelty Hole competitions, included for the first time during the Ambrose game on Friday and comprising a “Straight Drive”, a “Target Drive” and a “Long Drive with a Practice Ball”, were added for a bit of extra fun on this light-hearted day.
Again, many thanks to our generous sponsors who make the weekend possible. Also, thank you to all who donated (and re-submitted) prizes for the raffle on Saturday night.